Thursday, August 23, 2007

Building the TCM Clinic in Algeria-Honouring Nourredine

Communitas, a connection far greater than community is said to enter in any place in which the sacred exists. I have been fortunate enough to enconter it in all its glory. It is the deepening of relationship, magical interaction and bonding that extends no matter where we are. After all, Healing is a sacred rite.


I met Nourredine and Ammar in Huai Hua city, Hunan Province China at the Red Cross International TCM hospital. They had traveled from Algeria just to experience its methods. They had also tried some traditional African herbal medicine which seemed to help but that was available in another African state.

Nourredine had ALS, which had a rapid onset. In fact, he developed a rather severe form, literally seizing his being less than six days after a Hepatitis shot containing mercury and Thimerosal. (I saw many cases that paralleled this in foreign patients who travelled to China for treatment.)

I witnessed miraculous improvements in Nourredine while he was there. He regained the ability to walk and some use of his hands. His speech was not affected. Ammar spent three months in Huahua to care for his brother in the hospital, cook for him, etc. However, due to visa problems, etc., they had to return to Algeria for a month.


When they returned, Nourredine's condition was in decline. I wanted to cry when I saw him. It weighed so heavily on my heart! He could not walk or stand and his hands and arms had become quite rigid. As Ammar explained, just 15 days after their return, Nourredine was falling apart by the day. Obviously, travel was not easy and, more precisely, gruelling.

Additionally, as they revealed to me, medicine, ALL medicine in Algeria is difficult to come by outside of the capital city. There, as they explained, they also have Chinese medicine but these doctors are less experienced.


Within days, I noticed major improvements in Nourredine once more but I had to leave for Beijing. It was my distinct honour to be their sister, doctor, consultant, translator, and friend as we shared our lives, living space and even the same doctor at times in the same space for acupuncture:-)

Upon their return home, Nourredine once more lost strength and ultimately his battle with ALS. Yet, his spirit, his laughter, and vitality live on! I still remember our laughter intermixed with my rusty French and his more rusty English, midst his developing spoken Chinese.


After the death of our Algerian brother Nourredine, my *Algerian brother* Ammar has continued his efforts to try and open a Traditional Chinese Medicine Clinic in Algeria.

We discussed this many times in China. I am incredibly honoured to be his sister. We are investigating the feasibility of this, of perhaps bringing together true healers from diverse backgrounds and traditions for the good of the people.

Ultimately, this will mean asking China for some doctors and even helping institute some program similar to the Barefoot Doctors. I am looking into the agreements China had with Tanzania and Kenya when they first sent these doctors in the late 1940s and early 1950s. One life is so important.

Those of you who know me, know that I would like nothing better than to go and build this from the ground up in honour of Nourredine, his love, vivacity, and courage. By doing so now, I will literally risk my life, at this time, unfortunately--allergic to ALL vaccines and western medicine. Yet, life has another means for me to help him do so. Since I cannot travel to Algeria currently much of this work will have to be done virtually, at first, and then through networks of people.

I so admire Ammar's heart and dedication!

I've got my work cut out for me here--international law, asking China for help and negotiations with the Algerian government:-)

Ammar has filed the paperwork with the local ministry and we await answers within the next nine months.

I have every confidence this will be so. After all, China sent medical teams both traditional and modern to Algeria in the year I was born!

Anyone that has ideas,information, or funding ideas, please feel free to chime in.
My love to all of you who venture into uncharted and charted territories for CHANGE!
Namaste,
湘君

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am algerian doctor who graduet from tcm at wuhan university now living in france and thinking to come back to algeria,and one of my dreams to it's to open a tcm clinical in algiers wish we could meet and may be share ideas my email is sofbouz@hotmail.com