Wednesday, March 4, 2009

First steps to the IOM Integrative Medicine Summit



It's funny how life happens. Synchronicity is always a welcome surprise, often unplanned. Nevertheless, it appears, connects, reinforces and guides.

Thanks to a friend who offered support and encouragement, I discovered the Institute of Medicine (IOM) Summit on Integrative Medicine and the Health of Public nearly two months before it commenced. Midst the seemingly mounting challenges that healers, natural medicine and traditional medicine doctors and practitioners have faced within the United States, especially within the last few years, I was hesitant to attend. yet, something much larger, much more powerful than misgivings, fear and a sometimes disheartened heart, compelled me to push on. It is for the sake of people and healing that I rededicated my life (More here).

Upon reflection, the medical doctors, the healers and Chinese medicine doctors I have studied with propelled my steps. The memories of those lessons and of the stories shared still live within and continue to teach and to give! Yet, the patients, the numerous patients, their family members and people afflicted with illness throughout the world called to my heart, appealed to my mind. They could NOT be denied! The stories they have shared compelled me to journey on! After all, these stories were not just stories and/or memories. Rather, they were and are the lives, experiences, and moments in time shared for the benefit of others. Accordingly, attendance arose from communal knowledge, aggregate wisdom, and the incredible honour and courage of all the people who touched my life. Together, we would go if only in spirit to uplift healing for ALL.

As my Chinese teachers said, "我应该做的!“ In the context of our lessons, my internships and conversations, this implied so much more than mere duty or obligation. It contended that doing all that one could as a Chinese medicine doctor or healer was and is a sacred duty, a contract, an obligation before all others. Mere words cannot convey the meaning and weight of those words, but I hope you read them with your heart/mind and sense their gravity. I realize this sounds strange but I know no other way to explain this. This sacred contract, this reciprocity is embedded and encoded within my heart and mind--linked and locked eternally.

Thanks to dear friends who have listened, healers who simply heal in accordance with the laws of reciprocity and the goal of health restoration and/or better quality of life in mind, I decided to go--to give voice to the voiceless. Remembering the reasons for the path, for the journey became imminently clear.
For all those kindred souls and persons who were unable to attend, for those whose lives were cut short due to hegemonic institutions and/or bureaucracy and/or the lack of 'appropriate treatment' for what ailed them, and the family members and loved ones whose lives have been altered by someone's illness, I realized that these steps were necessary. They were not my own. They were the sum of all!

Suddenly, the yolk became easy.

Thanks to all who led me to the seemingly distant shore, who guided the steps midst the downpours of life and the mist of uncertainty. Together, we took these first steps toward change, toward shared vision and continued the global conversation. More importantly, we traveled much farther. Uplifting healing for all, spirits joined, we soared to the next level...... Namaste,湘君

No comments: