Monday, March 9, 2009

Journey to the IOM Integrative Medicine Summit


As soon as I learned of the Institute of Medicine Working Summit on Integrative medicine and the Health of the Public, mere words cannot describe the hope, the longing, the relief, the responsibility and the joy that welled within my being. Although my journey has been long, it has not been completely solo. Rather many other health practitioners of various healing modalities and traditions have journeyed far, have longed for a day when, perhaps, we would, at least be invited to the table. After all, we work side by side despite the agencies and institutions that have constructed the walls. We all have the same goals in mind--Healing.

With that in mind, I read the venue. Something within just clicked. This was a continuation of the conversation the James Reston and his 1971 New York Times article, "Now, About my Appendectomy in Peking" initially reignited. His subsequent articles detailing Chinese medicine in closed, communist China captivated the world's attention. For many in the West, this served as an introduction beyond the stories that generally filled sanctioned media. Although it introduced other ways of knowing, of seeing, treating and integrating healing, it more fully acquainted the west with the people of China. The unexpected and unintended consequences of the hybrid discourse that ensued, propelled many upon the associative paths of study. Yet, looking back in time, I sincerely believe that the west was taken by surprise!

Chinese medicine is not the only medicine that has value. Indeed, there are so many healing modalities and complete systems, many of them ancient. Nevertheless, they have stood the test of time. More importantly, the rituals of daily living which they have have prescribed have served as preventative measures and/or delimited the progression of disease. When engaged in accordance with worldview, each inherently contains more value. (I've studied so many for such a long time:-)

Understandably, the Summit sparked my interest. I submitted registration and anxiously awaited approval. This was to be a CONVERSATION- shared dialogue, listening and speaking. it provided opportunity to learn from each other and extend the aggregate wisdom to patients and families seeking a better quality of life. What could be more fulfilling?

Thanks to a dear friend in DC, everything was planned perfectly. Additionally, being in DC with her would grant us time together. Dr. Diane "Dwan" Tai, who does so much wonderful work has also committed this year to uplifting healing. Her last minute acceptance to the Summit was also a precious gift. All equated "Double Happiness."

Yet just before the summit, something overwhelmed me. Somehow, I felt less than worthy, less than up to the task. Nervousness and excitement collided. Thanks to a few friends dear words, the incredible energy of all the lives that have intersected with mine within the course of healing, of my pursuit of learning so many modalities and the experiences of my Chinese medicine masters completely filled me with an incredible energy, a force of lightness and strength at the same time. Indeed, I believe that many of the healers out there unknown to me were connected within that surge--Oneness realized! Thanks so much for ALL you do!

Upon the wings of all that shared experience, that life, love, hope and healing energy, I was ready. The footsteps were not merely my own. My body merely executed them. For the sake of others, we travelled on to partake of a grand conversation, to give and to receive. Yet, the 缘分 (yuan fen) destiny and synchronicity had only just begun. The best had yet to come...........

Love and gratitude to all who empowered and encouraged the journey, especially Lonnie Hodge, David Wolf, Dr. Ashis Brahma, Maynard Clark, Diane Tai, Marissa and David, my dear Tongxue and SO many more! We journey together! Namaste, 湘君。

No comments: