Saturday, January 26, 2008

On the precipice of decisions


Decisions.......What to do? In my mind, it sounds like this first--
决定,几个决定 怎么办?

Those of you who know me are probably smiling, knowing my mind is like this middle place for Chinese and English in thought, philosophy, medicine, all things:-)

I cannot apologize for something that just is. Rather, I choose to embrace it with gratitude, knowing there is meaning and purpose both unforeseen and unknown within it.

It is not what I intended but an unexpected and unintended consequence of the journey. Admittedly, is is often a pleasant one I welcome. Yet, when decisions are needed and questions arise considering the path ahead, I am pulled.

My heart lies with learning and discovering more healing while healing others and, of course, concomitantly healing and cultivating myself. For this is the heart of Chinese medicine and, indeed, true healing!

The goals I seek for the world, of course, intersect these thoughts and propel me even further into the global equation and engage learning and sharing on many levels--As Liz would say, "Aggregate wisdom," and Ashis would contend, "Collective knowledge." Both friends are amazing gifts within my life and often reframe the world before me, serving as additional lenses through which to view the world and resources for nearly every aspect. They are also warm islands of friendship and acceptance, love and spirituality--amazing humanitarians with their own paths. (Interesting how all paths lead to one!)

Still, it seems we all ask and meditate on the question, "How can I best serve?"

For me, certainly, many institutions within China beckon, as does the quest for more learning. As China negotiates its place for Chinese Medicine within the official world health system, perhaps, the world of "not only but also" has never called more loudly, more profoundly.

Ideally, I would like to serve as a cross-cultural bridge. In many ways I am, but in many ways I am still becoming. Aren't we all?

No comments: